Welcome to St. James Roman Catholic Church
St. James was established in 1900 to accommodate the mostly Irish-American workers of the Lester Shoe and Boot Company. The factories were expanding west-ward from Downtown Binghamton into Lestershire, (renamed Johnson City) and soon Eastern European immigrants were arriving making the need that much greater. In 2014 we will be celebrating the 100th anniversary of our Church building, that the factory workers dug the foundation for during their lunch hours.
St. James has only grown to be more ethnically, socio-economically and culturally diverse; continuing to serve immigrant communities by hosting the local liturgies for the Vietnamese speaking and Spanish speaking communities.
It is our parish goal that people feel at home in their Church. That our worship ranges from traditional devotionals to a Sunday liturgy renowned for its contemporary Music. Our Peace and Justice Committee is active and vocal and our Rosary Makers have supplied thousands of Rosary Beads to our troops in combat areas of Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. We serve our local community through our pantry and numerous organizations who receive funds from our tithes. We are proud to host St. James School; and actively encourage our teens to participate in all activities as many do not know each other in any other forum as they hale from 19 different school districts. We are the largest congregation in Broome County, and there is always room for more!
Once again welcome to St. James,
-Rev. John P. Donovan